Your IRA can provide a tax-smart way to make an impact with University of Puget Sound now. The Qualified Charitable Distribution or QCD (sometimes called an “IRA Charitable Rollover”) is a great way to make a tax-free gift now to University of Puget Sound and satisfy your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD), too.

How Do I Qualify?

The Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) offers multiple benefits for making gifts from your IRA.

  • You must be 70½ years or older at the time of the gift.
  • Gifts must go directly from your IRA to University of Puget Sound.
  • Gifts cannot exceed $100,000 per donor per year.

Benefits of Qualified Charitable Distribution

  • If you don’t itemize your income tax deductions, a QCD offers all of the benefits of an itemized income tax charitable deduction
  • If you are age 73 or older and must take a Required Minimum Distribution RMD, a QCD gift can satisfy your RMD without increasing your income taxes.
  • You may direct your gift to a program or area of your choice.
  • It is a wonderful way to create an immediate impact on University of Puget Sound.

How Can I Make an IRA Charitable Rollover?

Contact your IRA administrator to request a Qualified Charitable Distribution from your IRA to Puget Sound.


Show more detailsHide details

Charitable IRA Rollover – Gift Instructions

The process for making QCD varies from place to place, depending on the financial administrator for your IRA.

  • QCDs are generally made through the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) process for your IRA administrator. 
  • QCDs can often be made by sending your IRA administrator a Letter of Instruction.
  • A link to a sample letter of instruction can be found here.
  • If you wish to make a QCD gift before the calendar or fiscal year-end, please allow a minimum of three weeks for the gift to be processed and received. 

Common IRA Administrators

For your reference, below are the instructions from some well-known IRA administrators:


  • If you have check writing privileges to access your Fidelity IRA assets, you can write a check directly to the University of Puget Sound and send it to:

Rebecca Harrison ’01
Office of Capital and Planned Giving
University of Puget Sound
1500 N. Warner Street,
Tacoma, WA  98416

  • Or visit Fidelity’s website here to access Fidelity’s QCD form. Then complete and submit it to your Fidelity IRA administrator.



  • Visit the Vanguard Log in to access your on-line account. Once you’ve logged in:
  • Choose an eligible account and select Send me a check from the Where’s the money going? drop-down menu.
  • Select the Qualified Charitable Distribution checkbox and read the QCD considerations.
  • Enter the name of the charity. For example in this case, University of Puget Sound.
  • Proceed through to the confirmation screen.
  • Vanguard will generate a check made out to Puget Sound, but will send it to you to forward on to:

Rebecca Harrison ’01
Office of Capital and Planned Giving
University of Puget Sound
1500 N. Warner Street,
Tacoma, WA  98416



  • Visit the TD Ameritrade Log In to access your on-line account. Once you’re logged in:
  • Click on Client Services.
  • Then click on Forms & Agreements.
  • Enter the keyword “Required.” This will help you find your Required Minimum Distribution (RMD) form.
  • Complete and return the RMD form and include a Letter of Instruction to the IRA administrator.
  • See TD Ameritrade’s resource FAQs: Important Information about RMDs for more information.